Login

Vídeos

Investir em Elvas

World Heritage

Eurocity Badajoz-Elvas

Intangible Cultural Her.

Events

Mon Jun 25, 2018 | horas: 08:00 - 11:00PM
XII Festival Medieval de Elvas
Mon Jun 25, 2018 | horas: 08:00 - 07:00PM
Exposição Santo António Padroeiro
Mon Jun 25, 2018 | horas: 10:00 - 06:00PM
"A sedução de uma vírgula bem colocada - The pull of a well placed comma"
Tue Jun 26, 2018 | horas: 08:00 - 07:00PM
Exposição Santo António Padroeiro
Tue Jun 26, 2018 | horas: 10:00 - 06:00PM
"A sedução de uma vírgula bem colocada - The pull of a well placed comma"

ver mais [+]

Information Area

phoneSupport:
800 207 969

Files-Upload-File-iconSugestions:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PHARMACIES SERVICE

Plano Adopção de Animais


Parish Councils

Vila Fernando


With approximately 350 inhabitants is the least populated parish in the municipality of Elvas, however once was the municipality’s head office until 1836. Until the XIX century was also called Aldeia da Conceição, by the patron saint of the Church.
The area of Vila Fernando was occupied early in the Paleolithic and Neo-Chalcolithic, time at which built most of megalithic remains in this space. Also the Roman civilization rushed to this territory and built here several villae, of which the Carrão or the Atalaia dos Sapateiros are great examples. Several inscriptions, pottery and other remains found in the parish of Vila Fernando are part of the Palace’s Museum of Vila Viçosa and others will be part of the Archaeology Museum of Elvas. We know little of this area from the Roman period to the end of the Islamic period. In the 13th century was called Alcarapinha or Alcarapina and the Christian repopulation happened from 1260, year of the granting of lands of the Monarch to the Monastery of S. Vicente de Lisboa, and 1264 with the donation of the same land to D. João Peres de Aboim. Certainly the lands were later populated by the servants of the Lord together with the descendants of some Muslims who stayed. Already in 1320 the scattered group of houses is named Vila Fernando, which is due to D. João Fernandes de Lima, married to Maria Anes, daughter of João Peres de Aboim and heir of its land in the area of Elvas. The low population density in 1320 is attested by the parish enrollment where the church of Santa Maria, main church and ancient mosque, is only taxed at 15 pounds. Already in 1527, Vila Fernando only had 10 houses and even the parish priest lived in Estremoz, so the population complained of an abandoned church. In the 16th century the land of Vila Fernando, meanwhile made the municipality head office, were bought by Catherine, Duchess of Bragança. The municipality head seat was located in Monte de Vila Fernando, the Audiência ou do Paço. It is with the rebuilding of the church after the 1755 earthquake that the village starts growing, building up some attachments and homes around the temple. In 1758, Vila Fernando has 30 houses and 213 inhabitants. The Municipality of Vila Fernando, with about 300 inhabitants, was abolished in 1836 and the village was attached to the Parish of Barbacena. The creation of the Correctional Colony in 1895, a magnificent project with neo-Gothic buildings, drawn by Mendes Guerreiro, was a big step for the development of the village which was finally parish’s headquarters in 1920. Today, in addition to the extraordinary complex of the former Correctional Colony, there are some 19th century’s houses and the main Church, significantly amended during the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

Vila Boim

Vila Boim is home to a rural parish in the municipality of Elvas, but It was the county seat until 1836, when it became administratively to Elvas. It has about 1200 inhabitants and its main economic activity is agriculture. The story of Vila Boim begins in the Iron Age where was probably built a fort due to its leading and strategic location. This small town was then tapped and added by the Romans and occupied from the eighteenth century by Islamic populations. Then it was named Moçarava, which means that it was inhabited by Mozarabic and Christian populations. After the Portuguese conquest in the decade of 1250, Moçarava was donated to João de Aboim that changed the village name to Villaboim. A letter from the Bishop of Évora, D. Martin, of January 13th, 1262, refers to the construction of the Mother Church (rebuilt between 1778 and 1785). In 1478, the Duke of Bragança plans to build a castle in Vila Boim, but the castle would only be a reality in the next century. It was "good castle with houses, garden and fountains inside and outside", and to accompany him some wall sections. In the reign of King Manuel I, Vila Boim wins new charter to July 1, 1518. During the Restoration War the town was devastated by the Spanish troops and destroyed its fortifications. In 1758, Vila Boim had 470 inhabitants. The historical heritage of the Parish of Vila Boim is marked by the Main Church, rebuilt at the end of the seventeenth century, by the Church of S. Francisco, which opened in 1741 and also by Passos da Via Sacra. There are only a few traces of the castle and the fortifications and the chapels of São Bartolomeu and Santa Maria Madalena were demolished in the 19th century.

Terrugem

A parish council of Elvas, with about 1300 inhabitants, whose economic base is agriculture and work in tanneries. His story seems to begin in the Islamic period, although the territory of the parish has had strong Roman and Visigoth presence. In this period the village or homestead is nicknamed Tarruja or Taruja. Achieved through a moat by D. Afonso Henriques together with São Romão and the Herdade of Fatalão, would be lost again years later and finally conquered by King Sancho II. After the conquest of this monarch, Terrugem belongs to Vila Viçosa. The Main Church must date this times, although the great work modifications that suffered during the second half of the eighteenth century. In 1758, the Parish of Terrugem had 464 inhabitants.

São Vicente and Ventosa

The parish of São Vicente and Ventosa includes the villages of São Vicente Ventosa and Alentisca. It has about 800 inhabitants and with an area of 101.53 square kilometers is the second largest parish throughout the country. The parish has a huge Roman archaeological heritage with dozens of villae, among which stands out the Quinta das Longas. This sparsely populated continued until late, since the parish of São Vicente is only created at the beginning of the 16th century. The Main church of São Vicente is a work of sixteenth century, which was built by the first Bishop of Elvas, António Mendes de Carvalho. The parish of Nossa Senhora da Alentisca was suppressed in 1760 and their area was shared between the parishes of Santa Eulália and São Vicente. In 1859, the parish of Ventosa was included in the São Vicente.

São Brás and São Lourenço

The parish council of São Brás and São Lourenço was formed in the 1930s with the addition of two ancient parishes of São Brás and São Lourenço. It has about 1900 inhabitants spread over a number of small villages: São Brás, Varche, Calçadinha, São Lourenço, São Pedro das Vinhas, Aldeia da Cruz, Fonte Santa, Malvar, Aldeia do Pombal. The parish of São Brás and São Lourenço was integrated into Portuguese territory during the reign of Sancho II, although it was populated by Romans, through their villae, and by Islamic civilization. Even the Varche place name indicates an Islamic root, coming from bar sh'ra, meaning field of crops. São Brás begins to be mentioned in documents from the sixteenth century, although the village and the parish church may be earlier. In the case of Calçadinha, the village is born around the Herdade da Calçadinha (cited in documents from 1535), where once passed a Roman pavement. However, it is only in 1812 that the village is founded with the construction of houses around the homestead entry, by Simão de Sousa Sequeira Correia e Melo. São Lourenço, another population centre of the parish, is a village formed in the Middle Ages and mentioned in documents from 1522, where it was called São Lourenço de Fora ou São Lourenço das Vinhas to distinguish it from the Church of São Lourenço of Elvas.

Santa Eulalia

Santa Eulália is a village, home of a Parish Council of Elvas with about 1300 inhabitants. Its main economic activities are agriculture, extraction of granite and the making of typical Alentejo clothing. Rich in megalithic monuments, the town of Santa Eulália was also inhabited by the Romans and Visigoths who left traces on it.
It was certainly an Islamic village, won in the middle of the thirteenth century. In the Middle Ages would have been a small fortified village living of agricultural production. We know that although earlier, the Main Church suffered works both in 1423, as in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. From 1643 are built new fortifications of Santa Eulália, possibly demolishing up or taking advantage of the old medieval wall. Later, it would be built by Nicolau of Langres, a watchtower in Herdade de Almeida. However, during the period of the Restoration, the Spanish enemy sacked the fields of the village and in 1658 Don Luís de Haro would enter the village before the surrounding of Elvas. The seventeenth-century wall of Santa Eulália do not resist till our times. The eighteenth century was a century of population recovery and in 1758 the village already had 1215 inhabitants.
The twentieth century in the village is marked by development through farming and mining that made in 1940 the population increased to 2890 inhabitants, and later reached almost to 4000. The railway, the increased services, the building of the bullring in 1895 and the construction of a primary school in 1900 by the meritorious Alfredo Augusto de Andrade and his wife Josefina Bobone Van Zeller Andrade made the village grow and spill over borders the small it has till that moment.

Barbacena

Barbacena is a village which was municipality head office until 1837 and now is part of Elvas Municipality. Its parish has currently about 750 inhabitants and their activities are linked mainly to agriculture. Islamic village, became part of the Portuguese crown in the middle of the thirteenth century. In 1251 the place of Barvacena was donated to Etevão Annes, chancellor of King Afonso III and received a charter given by this grantee on 17 April 1273. The Mother Church, whose patron saint is Nossa Senhora da Graça, is from this times though much modified in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. The landlord of the village passed on to Martim Afonso de Mello on the 1st October 1388 who in turn passed it to his heirs: D. Branca de Sousa (wife of Fernando Henriques, Lord of Alcáçovas), D. Afonso Henriques and D . Jorge Henriques (official curtain and hunter chief of the King João III). It was the latter that had to rebuild the castle of Barbacena. In 1575, Diogo de Castro do Rio acquired the land of Barbacena for 28,500 ‘cruzados’ at auction. One of his heirs, D. Afonso Furtado de Castro do Rio Mendonça, was the 1st Viscount of Barbacena, title awarded by the King João IV on April 26th, 1655. D. Luís António Furtado de Mendonça was the 1st Viscount of Barbacena: leading figure of the Portuguese cultural eighteenth century life, one of the founders of the Royal Academy of Sciences, graduated in Law and Philosophy, ‘veador’ of the Princess Carlota Joaquina and Governor and Captain of Minas Gerais in Brazil, where he founded the city of Barbacena in 1791. During the Restoration War, the village of Barbacena suffered several assaults by the Spanish troops and was partially destroyed after the capitulation of 1658. In addition to the Main Church, the village’s Pelourinho (sixteenth century), the Church of São Sebastião (sixteenth-seventeenth century), the Church of Nossa Senhora do Paço (sixteenth-seventeenth century) and the Santo Calvário or Chapel of Nazaré (eighteenth century) are relevant too. The old Church of Nossa Senhora da Luz, built in the seventeenth century, is profaned. It was there, in the middle of the village’s square that ran the Misericórdia Hospital. It is also in the parissh of Barbacena the Fontalva’s Castle, a medieval castle built by Pêro da Silva in the fifteenth century where it already existed an older fortress.

FaLang translation system by Faboba

   
  

© 2012 Município de Elvas All Rights Reserved
ブランドコピー スーパーコピーブランド コピーブランド ブランドバッグコピー ブランドコピー時計 ブランドコピー財布