Login

Vídeos

Investir em Elvas

World Heritage

Eurocity Badajoz-Elvas

Intangible Cultural Her.

Events

Mon Jun 25, 2018 | horas: 08:00 - 11:00PM
XII Festival Medieval de Elvas
Mon Jun 25, 2018 | horas: 08:00 - 07:00PM
Exposição Santo António Padroeiro
Mon Jun 25, 2018 | horas: 10:00 - 06:00PM
"A sedução de uma vírgula bem colocada - The pull of a well placed comma"
Tue Jun 26, 2018 | horas: 08:00 - 07:00PM
Exposição Santo António Padroeiro
Tue Jun 26, 2018 | horas: 10:00 - 06:00PM
"A sedução de uma vírgula bem colocada - The pull of a well placed comma"

ver mais [+]

Information Area

phoneSupport:
800 207 969

Files-Upload-File-iconSugestions:
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

PHARMACIES SERVICE

Plano Adopção de Animais


The Building

The first establishment of the Convent of São Francisco in Elvas dated from 1518, on a valley near the wall of the fourteenth century which still surrounded the city, in the donated lands of Genebra da Rosa and Manoel Peçanha, nobleman from Elvas. The location did not please the monks due to the existing unhealthy situation. The current building had its construction started in 1951, when D. Fernando da Silva and his wife D. Beatriz de Brito donated a considerable part of the land. Located on a hill next to the Aqueduct of Amoreira, the convent became a privileged target by the enemy, during war and it was even considered by some military officers an obstacle to the city. From that side, the enemy could approach without being seen and even settle here in order to attack the city. It happened in 1658 and 1659 when the Spanish occupied and again at the beginning of the nineteenth century with the French invasions. The artillery of the Stronghold left the building in ruins several times and that is why it was rebuilt so often. The Convent of São Francisco of Elvas was finally emptied in 1834 by the Law of Expropriation of assets of the religious order and later, in 1842, added to the Public Cemetery, built after the alterations on the walls of the convent. When it served as a shelter to the Franciscan Friars it had an olive oil cellar, a kitchen, a prison facility, an infirmary and 25 cells where they would sleep. Architecturally speaking, the building is quite different from its original design due to the remodeling occurred in the seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Still it is an interesting monument, with a church at the front, with a galilee topped by a window with a shell-like decoration and with two bell towers. The interior is laterally decorated by paintings of great beauty, works from Simão Rodrigues (1560-1629) and gives access to a paved with Portuguese calçada cloister with five arches on granite columns. The entire Convent is occupied since 2006 by the Municipal Historical Archive of Elvas, the reason why it underwent recovery work.

FaLang translation system by Faboba

   
  

© 2012 Município de Elvas All Rights Reserved
ブランドコピー スーパーコピーブランド コピーブランド ブランドバッグコピー ブランドコピー時計 ブランドコピー財布